Calculating the Number of Boxes
Our values at the core of everything we do
Getting it done!
Get a quote
We serve all of New York State. Local residential or long distance moves — NYC moving company Maxi Moving would help you with all your needs. Let’s explore NYC Neighborhoods we serve!
To estimate the number of boxes needed, it’s essential to consider the size and type of items you’re packing. Different items require different box sizes and materials. Here are some general guidelines to help you calculate the number of boxes required:
- Small Boxes. Small boxes are ideal for packing heavier items such as books, DVDs, or kitchen utensils. On average, you can expect to fit around 30 pounds of items in a small box. Consider using small boxes for dense and heavy belongings.
- Medium Boxes. Medium-sized boxes are versatile and can accommodate a variety of items, including clothing, toys, and non-fragile kitchenware. They can hold around 45 pounds of belongings.
- Large Boxes. Large boxes are suitable for lightweight, bulky items such as bedding, pillows, lampshades, or larger kitchen appliances. These boxes can typically hold up to 70 pounds of items.
- Extra-Large Boxes. If you have oversized or oddly-shaped items like artwork, mirrors, or sports equipment, extra-large boxes are the way to go. They provide ample space and protection for these items.
- Specialty Boxes. Fragile or delicate items like glassware, china, or electronics require special attention. Consider investing in specialty boxes designed to protect these items during transportation.
Once you’ve categorized your belongings and determined the appropriate box sizes, make a list of the number of boxes needed for each category. Add up the totals, and you’ll have an estimate of how many boxes you’ll need for your entire move.
How to Choose the Best Moving Boxes?
It can be difficult to choose high-quality packaging during a move. But the Maxi Moving team has collected tips to help you find the right boxes for you.
1. Define your needs
Before you begin packing, take a thorough inventory of your possessions. Determine the types and sizes of items you’ll be packing, including their fragility and weight. Categorize your belongings into different groups, such as books, kitchenware, electronics, and fragile items. This assessment will help you estimate the number and sizes of moving boxes you’ll require.
2. Consider Box Sizes and Strength
Moving boxes come in various sizes, so it’s essential to choose the right ones to accommodate your items. Small boxes are ideal for heavier items, such as books and small appliances, while larger boxes are suitable for lighter items like clothing and bedding.
Additionally, pay attention to the strength of the boxes. Look for boxes made from sturdy materials like corrugated cardboard, which provides durability and protection. Reinforced boxes or those with double walls offer enhanced strength and are suitable for fragile or valuable items.
3. Opt for Specialized Boxes
Certain items require extra care and specialized boxes to ensure their safety during the move.
Wardrobe Boxes comes with a metal bar across the top, allowing you to hang your clothes directly from your closet. Wardrobe boxes are ideal for transporting suits, dresses, and other delicate garments without causing wrinkles or damage.
Dish and Glassware Boxes. To safeguard your fragile dishes and glassware, use boxes specifically designed for these items. These boxes typically have dividers and extra padding to protect your delicate belongings from breakage.
When it comes to transporting your mattresses, it’s essential to keep them clean and protected. Mattress boxes come in various sizes to fit different mattress types, and they shield your mattresses from dust, dirt, and potential damage during the move.
Electronics, such as TVs, computers, and gaming consoles, require specialized boxes with proper padding and protection. These boxes are designed to prevent damage to delicate electronic components and ensure safe transportation.
4. Purchase Sufficient Packing Supplies
In addition to moving boxes, you’ll need various packing supplies to secure your items during transit. Some essential packing materials include:
- Bubble wrap. Ideal for wrapping fragile items and providing cushioning.
- Packing paper: Use it to wrap items, fill empty spaces, and prevent shifting.
- Packing tape. Securely seal boxes to prevent them from opening during the move.
- Marker. Label each box with its contents and the room it belongs to for easier unpacking.
Proper labeling and organization can significantly simplify the moving process. Use a marker to write a brief description of the box’s contents and indicate the room it should be placed in at your new home. This way, you’ll save time and effort when unpacking and locating specific items.