Taking those first big steps towards independence by moving into your very own apartment can feel thrilling yet nerve wracking. Will you remember essential tasks like setting up Wi-Fi or stocking a kitchen from scratch? Does properly packing up years of accumulated childhood mementos seem totally overwhelming?
Not to worry – our guide details the optimal apartment move out checklist to seamlessly relocate for first-timers. Follow our moving tips and hacks on responsibly decluttering, sorting every room, securing packing supplies early, and you’ll be stepping into your awesome new blank canvas dwelling with confidence.
Start by Ruthlessly Decluttering
When prepping for a big move, decluttering always tops professional organizer’s advice lists. And they’re right – paring down unnecessary items you won’t actually use in your new independent space saves money on moving transportation and storage.
Be brutally honest about possessions you haven’t touched for years when sorting each room’s contents. Was that graphic tee collection whittled down since high school? Did newer upgrades replace electronics and appliances taking up garage space? Outgrown clothing, childhood knick knacks with no current emotional connection, duplicate kitchenwares – let them go. Donate, sell or trash what no longer presently “sparks joy” before hauling it along.
Create Clear Categories Room By Room
For what remains after decluttering, create color coded sorting categories to streamline packing up entire rooms efficiently. Labeled options like “Keep”, “Sell”, “Donate”, “Trash” help quickly divide ongoing use items from what should continue blessing other homes. This prevents dragging extraneous stuff along out of sheer nostalgia. Painters tape and permanent markers keep sorting systems clear.
Gather Essential Packing Materials Early
Having necessary packing supplies ready ahead of time makes sorting through years of belongings far less stressful. Invest in dependable cardboard boxes in small, medium and large sizes, bubble wrap for fragile items, and clear packing tape to seal boxes. Packing paper, permanent markers to label contents, and furniture blankets to shield scratches also prove handy for first-time moves. Start collecting clean boxes from grocery and liquor stores a month or two in advance to cut costs. Ask friends for leftover supplies they’re happy for you to reuse as well. Possessing proper materials helps the packing stage go smoothly.
Pack and Move Like a Pro Room by Room
Once decluttering separates keepers from goods better blessing new homes, packing up remaining categorized possessions in moving boxes proves the next big task. But don’t let rooms crammed with childhood mementos overwhelm! Simply follow our proven packing methods to transport belongings safely.
Pack Up Your Wardrobe Wisely
Whether you’re relocating shared dorm rooms or entire childhood bedrooms, clothing volume seems to magically multiply through the years. Make packing it up less painful by:
- Editing first – remove pieces you haven’t donned for ages to pare down volume before attempting to box up overflowing closets.
- Group apparel types together – shirts, pants, dresses, etc then pack categorized boxes to match. Clearly label box contents for easy unpacking into new dresser drawers later.
- Keep delicate fabrics like silks and cashmere separate, wrapped in tissue paper to prevent wrinkling before packing in lidded bins or cardboard wardrobe boxes.
- Maximize space by tightly rolling heavy sweaters and denim before packing box bottoms, then gently topping with lighter items to prevent crushing.
Carefully Pack Up Cherished Memories
What about precious keepsakes like yearbooks, printed photos, scrapbooks and kids’ artwork bringing all the nostalgic feels? Show these staples from past chapters the same care while packing for future adventures ahead:
- First, sort memorable memorabilia into acid-free archival boxes specifically designed to protect beloved paper goods and prevent yellowing or other damage over time. Several size options exist for organizing projects by year or content type.
- Then document box contents by category with permanent marker on sides and keep an ongoing list of cherished goods. This prevents mysterious boxes lingering unpacked for ages while you attempt recalling contents!
- For added security keeping valued scrapbooks and framed pictures damage-free, wrap each individual item in a protective layer of bubble wrap before packing in storage bins.
Apartment Turnover Tasks and Moving Day Tips
So you’ve decluttered ruthlessly, packed possessions like a pro – now what? Finalizing apartment turnover logistics and move day itself contains a few last preparatory steps for first timers.
Complete Key Admin Tasks in Advance
Approximately one month before your scheduled moving day when turning over any rental, alert key contacts and agencies regarding your address change date so nothing falls through the cracks. This apartment move out checklist ensures essential people and groups stay informed:
- Inform your landlord in writing following proper protocols about your exact move out date. This may require 30-60 days formal notice per your rental agreement arrangements for breaking a lease early or not renewing. Clarify details like their final walkthrough evaluation and returning keys.
- Contact utility companies and internet/cable providers to cancel or transfer service accounts. Adjust final automatic payments from old accounts and security deposits accordingly.
- Officially submit USPS change of address forms online so lingering mail forwards timely to your new address. Also update your physical address with employers, banks, insurance agencies, etc well beforehand.
- Schedule any rental moving truck or moving companies reservations 30+ days early to secure ideal dates and reputable movers. Obtain quotes from a few companies before confirming your chosen team.
Prepare Essentials for a Smooth Moving Day
When the big day arrives, having these preparatory basics handled reduces first-timer move stress exponentially:
- Stay organized and pack a dedicated overnight bag with pajamas, chargers, medications and next-day essentials separate from boxes being loaded on the truck. This emergency bag contains must-have immediate things if other boxes get unexpectedly delayed.
- Take inventory before movers arrive – photograph box labeling systems documenting contents for easy unpacking and claims if anything gets misplaced.
- Take photos of electronics and furniture before/after the move to record conditions for damages claims if needed.
- Keep irreplaceable items, cash, documents and cherished mementos in your personal vehicle for direct secure transport vs. trusting to movers.
Have snacks, cold drinks and tip money accessible to appreciate your moving team!
With our guiding moving and packing tips in place from how to move out wisely plus responsibly preparing to move out for the first time, you can save time and tackle a move into a new place with total confidence! MaxiMoving’s professional movers always support NYC area first-timers navigating major life changes. Let our compassionate team help steer your next chapter’s exciting journey!